Contact Me

Email: ethankiffmeyer@gmail.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/swissrotary/

Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Long Awaited Update

My last post was in December... It's now April...

As you can imagine, I have a load of things to write about.  I'll get through as much as I can in one post, but I may end up covering some things later on.  I'll also be working backwards chronologically in this post, so we'll be starting with the most recent things.

First up: handball.  For about a month and a half I've been going to handball practice with my host brother, Nando (for those who are unfamiliar with the sport, it basically takes the dribbling and possession system of basketball and combines it with the goal and keeper of soccer).  A couple of weeks ago, I got invited by the coach to come with on a international tournament in the Netherlands.  The trip was amazing, and I got to add a new country to my list!  I also met so many new people and made so many new friends!


Selfie on the bus!


One of my new friends, Andrina!


When girls get your phone...



Handball!

Another thing that I've done a couple times now is skiing.  Last year, we had a Swiss exchange student at our school named Mathilde.  During the winter, I asked her what she thought of skiing in Wisconsin.  She told me it was fun, but it was nothing compared to back home in Switzerland.  I now understand what she meant.  Skiing in the mountains is amazing!!!  So far I've been on two ski trips: most recently a school sponsored day trip to Davos, and then a couple months ago for an entire week skiing in Zermatt.




One of my classmates, Fabio.


Skiing around the base of the Matterhorn.




Looking over the Italian side.



About a month ago I got my first opportunity to visit a country outside of Switzerland.  I went with my host family on a day trip to the city of Milan, Italy.  We went to visit my oldest host brother, who was studying there.







I'll close things off with New Year.  On New Years Eve I went with my host family and my friend Nikki (Canada) to Zürich.  We hung out and had a great time until 11:50 when we gathered at the shore of Lake Zurich to watch the fireworks at midnight.  It was an amazing display; a great way to celebrate the beginning of 2016!








Host mom (top left) and Nikki (top right)
Host brother Nando (bottom left) host dad (bottom right)

That'll be about it for this update.  There was a lot less writing than normally, but you know what they say: a picture is worth 1,000 words.  I am also about to start two weeks of spring break, so I should have some great things to write about going into that.  As always, if there are any questions about my adventure, please feel free to comment on the posts or write me an email!

Bis bald,
-Kiffy

No comments:

Post a Comment